Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What are your rates?

Electricity: 5.25 cents per kWh (six-month average), Natural Gas: $2.89 per GJ (six-month average)

Regional Energy offers electricity and natural gas on low-cost variable rates.

How much are your distribution and transmission fees?

Distribution fees, transmission fees, and related charges are set by the distribution company in your area and regulated by the government. There is only one distribution company for each service in your area. When switching to Regional Energy that portion of your bill remains the same since it will still be the same company delivering the energy to your home. Although the distribution portion of your bill will be the same many customers still save hundreds per year by making the switch to Regional Energy.

Do you offer fixed rates?

We’ve done our analysis and have found that fixed rates typically cost a customer more over the long run. Regional Energy offers only variable rates.

Are there any fees to sign up or cancel?

No, there are no sign-up fees or cancellation fees. If you wish to cancel we require 10 business days written notice. This notice is required because it can take up to 10 days for our drop request to take effect.

Can you service my area?

We service all of Alberta with electricity and natural gas. We can provide Internet service wherever Shaw Cable is. 

Do you offer different payment options?

Pre-authorized debit from a chequing account is our primary method of payment. This efficient payment method is how we keep our rates so low. Information provided is 100% secure. Customers can also set up payments on a credit card, but there is a 3% processing fee added to each bill. This fee is to recover what we are charged.

Can I change my payment due date?

Yes. Our payment due dates are based on when your meter is read by the distribution company. The meter readings and consumption information is sent to us electronically and bills are produced with a payment date 5 days after the billing date. If you require a change then our customer care team would be happy to accommodate it as long as the payment has not yet been processed. If there is a specific payment date that works best each month please email our customer care team and they will set it up.

I’m moving and I’m a current customer, what should I do?

Our sign-up page will make it simple. Sign up for services at your new address and indicate on the form that you are a current customer who is moving. Send the customer care team an email with the end date for the current address. You’re done!

Can you take care of my water and garbage as well?

Our specialty is providing low cost electricity and natural gas to people in Alberta. We do not handle water and garbage services. Each city or town in Alberta typically deals with one provider for those services. For example, Enmax provides water and garbage removal for Calgary and Epcor does the same for Edmonton. Our customers receive their invoices electronically and pay by pre-authorized debit, so the separate bill from us for electricity and gas is simple and hassle free.

What if I am on a contract with another utility provider?

We would be happy to take you on as a customer, but you should first check the terms of your contract as they may have a penalty or early exit fee if you cancel before your contract expiry date. Some of our customers have found it made economic sense to pay the penalty as they saved more in a short period of time based on our lower energy rates. If you are unsure whether paying the penalty would be financially beneficial, give us a call and we can help.

Will my service reliability be affected if I switch utility providers?

No, your service reliability will not be affected. Services provided by energy retailers differ only by price and other contract features. The electricity or natural gas will continue to come to your home or business, through the same network of wires or pipes, no matter who you choose as an energy retailer. By law, the local utility company is not allowed to provide different care levels to customers who have chosen an alternate supplier. You will continue to receive the same level of delivery quality, emergency response and meter reading. If, for some reason, an energy retailer decided to abruptly end its services, then that company’s customers would automatically be enrolled with the regulated rate provider. 

Who do I call if the power goes out or if there is a gas leak or other emergency?

If you have a power outage or other energy related emergency, please call the local utility company for your area (ATCO Electric, ENMAX, EPCOR, FORTIS Alberta, ATCO Gas, etc.). Contact numbers for the utility company can be found on your current bill. 

Still Have Questions About Our Services?

T: 587-839-0094

Close Menu